ABOUT PROTEUS FUND
Proteus Fund Proteus Fund connects philanthropy to the frontlines of social justice. We strive to advance the interconnected goals of racial, gender, queer and disability justice and an inclusive, fully representative democracy. To do our work effectively and with significant impact, Proteus Fund creates dynamic relationships between progressive philanthropists, movement leaders, and other allies that go far beyond transactional grantmaking. Our trusted position among funders and field actors enables us to support, both through collaborative grantmaking and other efforts, a broad array of strategies to achieve social justice victories. Our donor collaboratives are best-in-class models for bridging responsive philanthropy and cutting-edge social justice movements for deeper impact, aligning resources to address critical needs, and shaping strategy alongside our partners. Through our fiscal sponsorship program, Proteus Fund partners with initiatives which play a powerful role in the larger ecosystem for social change, providing them with tailored and comprehensive organizational support.
To date, Proteus Fund, and its affiliated 501c4 organization, the Proteus Action League, have distributed $250 million in grants, and provided other essential tools to support activists, advocates, networks, coalitions, and issue-specific campaigns at the local, state, and national level. Proteus Fund is headquartered in New York City, with offices in Amherst, Massachusetts. Our staff is based across the entire United States.
The Accounting Associate is responsible for processing accounts payable and coordinates the credit card program for Proteus Fund (PF) and Proteus Action League (PAL). They support the finance department and organization by ensuring daily transactions are processed accurately and on time.
This is a full-time (40 hours per week) US based remote position based on Eastern Standard Time.
Proteus Fund welcomes everyone to our team. We strongly encourage people of color; lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer and non-binary people; and individuals with disabilities to apply.
• Review all payment requests for appropriate documentation and approval prior to payment. Requests may include invoices, reimbursements, grants, stipends, rents, or any other items that require payment.
• Process all accounts payable activity ensuring transactions are processed timely and accurately; initiating all payments via ACH, check or wire. Records activity in the General Ledger according to Proteus’ financial policies and allocation guidelines
• Maintain all accounts payable reports, spreadsheets, and organization’s accounts payable files
• Conduct reviews and reconciliations on accounts payable records
• Provide accounts payable support for financial audits, budgets, and staff inquiries
• Prepare and file IRS Form 1099 reporting at calendar year end for Proteus and PAL consultants and the Internal Revenue Service
• Download monthly charges for allocation by all staff
• Update and maintain all allocation tools for staff
• Implement and update the expense management system
• Facilitate issuing new cards, changing credit card limits, canceling cards, and resolving staff problems related to credit card use and allocations
• Upload expense allocations into the General Ledger, accurately and timely for month-end reporting
• Respond timely to inquiries from vendors, customers, or staff and researches and resolves concerns or discrepancies
• Create and update procedures and training documentation on accounts payable and credit cards operations
• Provide training to new staff and as needed, to all staff on accounts payable and credit cards procedures
• Support and collaborate with the Finance team on related activities, special projects, and improvements
• Stand-in as back-up for accounts receivable activities
The Accounting Associate will have 2-3 years related experience in accounts payable along with experience in coordinating a staff credit card program and or experience in expense management. They have the keen sense of prioritization and multitasking and experience in relating to others who represent a variety of backgrounds.
Additional requirements and experience include:
● Working knowledge of basic accounting principles
● Problem-solving orientation and the skills to develop solutions
● Detail oriented and the ability to organize and perform with accuracy and within deadlines
● High level of maturity and integrity with sensitive and/or confidential information
● Possess ability to write and communicate clearly and effectively
● Possess at least moderate working knowledge of excel and accounting software systems.
Alignment to Culture and Values
• Commitment to vision and mission, of Proteus as a progressive social justice organization.
• Cultural responsiveness and an alignment with our values and commitment to equity and inclusion.
• Strong relationship building; high ethical standards, discretion, and tact.
• Personal qualities of humility and empathy.
The salary range for this position is $57,000-63,000 per year. (Proteus Fund utilizes geographic salary differentials, compensation will be contingent on location).
• Medical and dental benefits for employee and eligible dependents available on first day of work
• Retirement savings account (401k) with an organization contribution of 10% of annual salary
• Three weeks’ paid vacation in first year of work; four weeks in subsequent years
• Fifteen sick days per year
• Three personal days per year
• Fifteen paid holidays
• Professional development initiatives for growth
• Paid Family Leave
For consideration, please submit cover letter indicating your interest in Proteus fund and resume by August 22, 2022.
Equal employment opportunity and having a diverse staff are fundamental principles at Proteus Fund, where employment and promotional opportunities are based upon individual capabilities and qualifications without regard to race, color, religion, gender, pregnancy, sexual orientation/affectional preference, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, veteran status or any other protected characteristic as established under law.
Proteus is committed to the full inclusion of all qualified individuals. As part of this commitment, Proteus will ensure that persons with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodations. If reasonable accommodation is needed to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and/or to receive other benefits and privileges of employment, please contact Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org or 413-256-0349 option 3.
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement
Proteus requires its colleagues who are working in an office setting or who will be required to travel as part of their key responsibilities to be fully (3 shots) vaccinated against COVID-19. Where an employee has a medical or bona fide religious reason which prevents them from receiving the COVID-19 vaccine, Proteus will consider accommodations which may allow employees to safely perform the essential functions of their job.