SENIOR ASSOCIATE, DONOR SERVICES
ABOUT PROTEUS FUND
Proteus Fund partners with foundations, individual donors, activists, advocates, and other allies to advance social justice. Our work focuses on the interconnected goals of racial, gender, queer, and disability justice and an inclusive, fully representative democracy. Catalyzing progress on all of these fronts is essential to realizing our vision of a more equitable, just, and democratic future. We support movements through shared strategies and approaches with the aim of creating legal, social, and cultural sea change. In our 28-year history, we have collaborated in launching many mission-driven initiatives, including Donor Collaboratives, Fiscally Sponsored Projects, and Donor and Group Advised Funds. Through all of our work, we also strive to transform and radically enhance the very nature of U.S. philanthropy.
Proteus Fund and our associated organization Proteus Action League (PAL) have distributed more than $241 million in grants to support cutting edge issue advancement and movement building. The bulk of our grantmaking is at the state and grassroots level where we fund strategies and tactics ranging from community organizing, coalition building, and public policy advocacy to narrative development, strategic communications, research, and leadership development. We also advance these issues through a variety of non-grantmaking strategies including fiscal sponsorship of a stellar collection of progressive initiatives. Today, we are a $40 million organization supporting a total of 29 programs and initiatives.
The Donor Services Senior Associate works in cooperation with other staff to support the processing and tracking of all incoming revenue, and the submission of all grant reports and proposals. They are responsible for effectively using current tools, systems and procedures to accomplish these responsibilities. They work closely with Program, Finance and Fiscally Sponsored Project (FSP) staff, and report to the Donor Services Manager (DSM).
This is a full-time (40 hours per week) US based remote postion for an individual located on the east coast (Eastern Standard Time Zone).
Proteus Fund welcomes everyone to our team. We strongly encourage people of color; lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer and non-binary people; and individuals with disabilities to apply.
• Track all revenue into the organization utilizing the organization’s donor database.
• Serve as first point of contact for all incoming revenue, including utilizing the organization’s donor database to record charitable, earned and other types of income.
• Work with finance and program staff as well as donors to identify correct revenue allocations across programs and subprograms.
• Manage the timely processing and tracking of grant agreements between Proteus Fund and its donors.
• Work with relevant staff to set up credit card processing platforms for new and current projects.
• Create and send acknowledgement letters or similar communications to foundation and individual donors.
• Track all reporting deadlines for the organization’s programs and collaborate with internal staff to assist them in compiling the necessary materials to accompany proposals and reports to funders.
• Assist finance staff in producing any required custom financial reports for proposal and report submissions to funders.
• Perform internal review and due diligence related to legal compliance as well as donor requirements of all proposals for funding and reports to funders.
• Serve as database administrator for Donor Services, including data entry related to grants and other forms of revenue as well as proposals and reports; manage the database’s contact and organizational records; and work with internal staff to ensure complete and accurate records.
• Maintain the Donor Services information page on Microsoft 0365 platform, including the continual updating of the Centralized Development Resource.
• Retrieve postal mail to ensure timely processing of revenue.
• The Donor Service Senior Associate will have three to five years’ experience working in a nonprofit setting. They are detail oriented, technical savvy person who is highly organized, results oriented and who can communicate detailed information clearly. They can manage multiple deadlines and they have good project management instincts. They are familiar with working with finance and tracking and identifying income. We value candidates who can demonstrate capability and articulate how prior experiences will help them transition into this role.
Additional requirements and experience include:
• Technical system and database acumen: Prior working knowledge with financial accounting data bases. Ability to quickly adapt to changing systems. Experience working closely with IT and finance staff.
• Project management skills: Stays on top of multiple projects, plans backwards, anticipates obstacles, identifies and involves stakeholders appropriately, updating and reporting as well as researching identifying and solving issues.
• Multi-tasking: Ability to deal with more than one task at a time to keep up with multiple requests from stakeholders and systems.
• Communication and collaboration: Competence and confidence to function as first point of contact for department. Collaborating with internal colleagues to resolve issues. Responsiveness ability to produce proposals (including narrative and financials).
• Results oriented: Proactive problem solving and forecasting issues and obstacles and recommending solutions.
Alignment to Culture and Values
• Commitment to vision and mission, of Proteus as a progressive social justice organization.
• Cultural responsiveness and an alignment with our values and commitment to equity and inclusion.
• Strong relationship building; high ethical standards, discretion, and tact.
• Personal qualities of humility and empathy.
The salary range for this position is $62,000- $68,000 per year. Proteus Fund utilizes geographic salary differentials, compensation will be contingent on location.
• Medical and dental benefits for employee and eligible dependents available on first day of work
• Retirement savings account (401k) with an organization contribution of 10% of annual salary
• Three weeks’ paid vacation in first year of work; four weeks in subsequent years
• Fifteen sick days per year
• Three personal days per year
• Fifteen paid holidays
• Professional development initiatives for growth
• Paid Family Leave
For consideration, please submit cover letter and resume.
A cover letter indicating your interest in Proteus Fund must be included. Resumes without cover letters will not be considered.
Proteus is committed to the full inclusion of all qualified individuals. As part of this commitment, Proteus will ensure that persons with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodations. If reasonable accommodation is needed to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and/or to receive other benefits and privileges of employment, please contact Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org or 413-256-0349 option 3.
Equal employment opportunity and having a diverse staff are fundamental principles at Proteus Fund, where employment and promotional opportunities are based upon individual capabilities and qualifications without regard to race, color, religion, gender, pregnancy, sexual orientation/affectional preference, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, veteran status or any other protected characteristic as established under law.
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement
Proteus requires its colleagues who are working in an office setting or who will be required to travel as part of their key responsibilities to be fully (3 shots) vaccinated against COVID-19. Where an employee has a medical or bona fide religious reason which prevents them from receiving the COVID-19 vaccine, Proteus will consider accommodations which may allow employees to safely perform the essential functions of their job.